Is Your Dog Suffering from Fleas? We Have a Quick Solution to Help You!
We know exactly how it feels to see your dog suffering from annoying fleas. Let’s show you one way of getting rid of this problem to make your home happy. Read more!
It’s bothering to see your dog scratching all the time. It’s almost like you can feel the itchiness the dog feels all over its body. Fleas can be a big problem in the entire household. It can jump from your dog and can be anywhere around your house.
Although fleas feed on your dog’s blood, they can also bite us. If you have children at home, this could be a lot of trouble. Fleas’ bites can cause itchiness. Much more, if your dog is allergic to it, it will lead to severe infections.
Have you ever heard of Seresto flea collars for dogs? Let us read more to know how this will help you get rid of this nightmare.
How do we know that our dogs have fleas?
Fleas are tiny, brown parasites that suck your dog’s blood. If it is severe, you will notice these insects jump from your dog’s body. No, fleas jump and do not fly like what some people say. It has strong hind legs that enable them to do so from one dog to another.
Signs that your dog has fleas:
- Your dog scratches and licks his body more frequently than normal.
Fleas usually stick to the part of the body that is hard to reach for the dog to scratch. It could be at the tail, neck, head or armpits. If your dog scratches these parts desperately, there is a high probability flea is present.
- Red spots develop in your dog’s skin.
It is so unfortunate if your dog is allergic to flea bites. The dog will not only suffer from much itchiness but also skin infections. These red spots do not show, only to the bitten part. Your dog’s whole body will be full of it.
- Hair Loss
There are several causes of your dog’s hair loss, but fleas are one of the most common of all. Because of non-stop scratching and biting, your dog will eventually pull out the dog’s hair. This situation needs immediate action.
- Your dog’s gums are disturbingly pale.
Since this parasite feed on your dog’s blood, severe cases lead to anemia. One sign of anemia is the paleness of your dog’s gums. However, this is a rare case if you take good care of your dog. Your dog will become anemic if the fleas have already infested the dog for quite so long that it already multiplied.
- Flea Dirt on your dog’s fur or all around the house
If you see some tiny bits of dirt on your dog’s hair or skin, check for fleas. You may also see some of those on the floor or to corners of your house where your dog usually stays. These “dirt” are flea feces.
If you want to make sure, you can check by spraying water on them. It will turn a dark red color when liquefied if it is composed of blood from flea feces.
Fleas prefer humid temperatures so give extra care to your dog when the weather is summer.
Is there an easy way to get rid of fleas?
There are many ways to get rid of fleas. However, if you want an easier and faster method, seresto flea collars are very effective. Like the image above, these are medically improvised collars for dogs made to get rid of fleas. By simply replacing your ordinary dog collar with this, your flea dilemma is solved.
These collars are available in different sizes to fit different breeds. Just like medication, you need to follow dosage are recommended length of time be used. You can ask your vet for specific instructions for this.
Seresto is a new collar designed for dogs and cats to offer a long-term solution and prevention of fleas, ticks, and other related parasites. The collars are made with insecticidal properties that are gradually released towards the animal’s fur and skin. Later on, it will be absorbed through the skin and slowly spread all over the dog’s body for treatment. These active ingredients will remain in the animal’s fur and skin for an average of 7-8 months, thus eliminating parasites at this given time.
How to use Seresto flea dog collars?
- Take the collar out from its package.
- Put the collar around your dog’s neck, attaching the other end of its lock.
- Tighten the collar, but not too tight that it will make your pet uncomfortable. Do not attach it too loose either to prevent the danger of pulling it off the dog head.
- If you see a long excess of the collar length, you might want to cut it off.
- It is best to check the collar once a month. If your dog is still a puppy, it may end uptight already as your dog grows. Adjust it if needed.
- Fleas can contaminate not only your dog but also the whole house. Worse case, you or your children are bitten too. You can put the pieces of this collar into your vacuum canister. Fleas that get caught in the vacuum will die and can’t go back to your house.
- There are flea collars that are not effective enough to take care of the whole body of your pets. Usually, they only treat the parts near the neck where they are attached. Such other parts like the bottom and back are not treated. Some brands are reliable, like Seresto.
What are the benefits when you use Seresto flea dog collars?
- Using a Seresto flea collar will prevent fleas and other parasites from infecting your dog for up to 8 months.
- It helps get rid of fleas that have already penetrated your dog’s hair.
- Saves you from remembering monthly medicine doses for your dogs.
- Fleas die upon contact with the active ingredients released by the collar. No more bites!
- It is completely odorless and non-greasy. No worries on sticky hairs upon application.
- Simple instructions, so it is easy to apply.
- Prevents allergies and other skin infections due to parasites.
- The flea collar is designed and made with a safety release mechanism.
What are the risks in using Seresto Flea Collar for Dogs?
Although we have mentioned the benefits of Seresto flea collars in this article, we need to inform you in certain instances wherein it can bring harm to your dog. Below are the circumstances that you need to watch out for it.
Flea collars are designed to treat fleas by releasing chemicals that are absorbed through the skin only. It must not be ingested. Do not let your pet bite or ingest these collars. These chemicals may be good for the skin but are toxic when ingested.
Signs of flea collar poisoning:
- Irregular body temperature
- Unstable breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Frequent urinating
- Loss of body movement control
- Unstable blood pressure
- Pupils are dilated
Consult your vet before applying these flea collars to your dog. Be sure that your dog is not one among those who are allergic to certain chemicals used in flea collars.
Flea collars may irritate your dog’s neck. A regular check is needed to see the signs. It could be tightly attached, or the chemicals are the cause of irritation. Watch out! Irritations caused by chemicals are sometimes worse than flea bites if not treated right away.
Understanding the flea cycle would help in making the treatment successful. The stages are an egg, larva, pupa, and adult. Completing the cycle is dependent on your dog’s health and the environment’s temperature. The more humid the temperature is, and the healthier your dog is, the shorter is the cycle.
An adult flea will feed your pet for several weeks and lay about hundreds of eggs in its entire lifespan. These eggs can be spread into your entire home and will hatch in time. They survive for a long time waiting for a host. So when planning treatment, know that you need to take care not only of your dog but also the entire household, indoors and outdoors.
Pros and Cons of Seresto flea collar
- Lasts a long time
- Cheaper in the long run
- No mess
- Easy to use
- Very effective
- Color option is very less
- Pricier than alternatives
- Works only when it is on
Features of Seresto flea collar
It has neat features that further separate it from traditional collars:
Reflector clips – Reflect clips can be applied to help with your pet’s visibility during the night.
It is waterproof – Seresto maintains its effectiveness despite exposure to shampoos, swimming, or rain exposure.
Break away release mechanism – Portions of the collar are designed to release if the pet gets trapped.
Flea collars are now popular as a solution to your pet’s flea problem. However, as stated, any treatment that you plan to apply to your dog is best to be consulted first to the vet. It is also good to practice reading the package information upon buying these flea collars. There might be chemicals that you know your dog is allergic to.
Being alert and cautious to your dog’s health will greatly help. Regular check-up and infinite love surely will create a happy place for you and your precious fur baby.