10 common plants those are poisonous to dogs

poisonous plants to dogs

The moment we hear the word “pet” the animal which strikes to our thought is the dog. Dogs are taken care very much equivalent to a kid at most of the houses. Even though you provide good hygienic care and medication to the dog it will not be sufficient until you monitor your pet about its food consumption.

A dog always has the tendency to explore any sort of peculiar plant which it comes across. Your dog may smell, touch, play or do any activity with any sort of plant it encounters. By doing so, your pet may fall ill eventually proving to be fatal. This is because some common household plants which are healthy to humans prove to be poisonous to the pet animals.



Everyday animal helpline receives hundreds of phone calls regarding poisoning of pets, especially dogs. Not all the plants are toxic, but a very few prove to be so. Each plant has a different type and concentration of poison which makes the pet to suffer from diverse abnormalities. Hence, proper care should be taken to monitor the health of your pet and make sure that your dog is not trained in a place encompassed by such poisonous plants and if possible have an automatic dog food dispenser so that your dog can access food whenever it feels hungry. Also, make sure to look out for the below mentioned poisonous plants when you take your dog to a new location.

English ivy

English ivy

English ivy is an ornamental evergreen vine which grows for about 10 years. It grows over the bricks works, barks, and on any such surface either indoor or outdoor. These ivy leaves are used in the treatment of a cough but, still, it is a poison for both animals and humans. It can be used as a cover for fences, walls, ground cover and also it can be used as lawn alternatives. Moreover, it flourishes during winter with a low water requirement and maintenance. English ivy contains a toxic substance called triterpenoid saponin and so when consumed, it might cause vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation and abdominal pain and irritation in the gastrointestinal tract.

 

Aloe vera

Aloe vera

Aloe vera is a succulent very short-stemmed plant which is completely green which contains a gel and greenish yellow latex inside it. Its outer surface of the leaf margin is serrated with white teeth. Aloe vera contains two hormones; auxins and gibberellins and it is very much useful for humans with the anti-inflammatory properties and also it cures eczema, acne, psoriasis etc. Unfortunately, aloe has been a curse for pets as it is mildly toxic to them. The gel part of the aloe is not toxic, but the latex part is toxic to the pets. Aloe causes depression, anorexia, tremors, changes in urine color, vomiting and diarrhea in cats and dogs.


Oleander

oleander

Oleander is an evergreen shrub which produces funnel-shaped colorful flowers which are generally used for ornamental purposes. But the icky part of this shrub is the latex which it has in all parts of the shrub. Even the water flowing over this shrub can be poisonous not only for animals but also for humans. Also, the fruits of this shrub are used for committing suicides in tropical countries. When consumed it would cause drooling, nausea, vomiting, anorexia, weakness, tremors, abnormal heart rate and finally death. This suits humans also as it is highly poisonous.

Lilies

lily

Lilies are large flowers which grow from the bulb which are more prevalent in the northern hemisphere and there are various types of lilies with various colors all over the world. It includes water lily, fire lily, trout lily, cobra lily, daylily, ginger lily etc. Lilies are heavy poison to the pets such that it can cause severe damage to the kidneys. Even pollens would cause terrible detrimental results. It causes vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dehydration, anorexia etc.

 

Tulips

tulips

Tulips are brightly colored flowers which bloom during the spring season. These ornamental plants which grow from bulbs are used for ornamental purposes. Tulips can be toxic not only to dogs and cats but also for horses. When you suspect that your pet has consumed some part of it, medical assistance would be necessary immediately. Tulips cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart and respiratory rate etc.


Daffodils

Daffodils are brightly colored yellow and trumpet-shaped flowers which are available in various colors and shapes. It is the first flower to bloom indicating the onset of the spring season. All parts of daffodils consist of a toxic substance called lycorine especially the bulbs contain a high amount of lycorine. Even though daffodils are not highly poisonous plant it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and these symptoms would exist for 3 hours in humans. These bright flowers can cause nausea, drooling, abdominal pain, cardiac problems etc in the pets.

Foxtails

Foxtails

Foxtails are a cluster of weedy grasses which have a spiky appearance. It is a common weed which can be seen in any place while you walk. Since they are spiky if they move inside the body it would cause intense damage. After having a walk with your pet, please check for the foxtails all over the body especially the paws and ears. They can even migrate from the dog’s nose to its brain. Moreover, it can cause swelling, limping, pawing, and licking of its genitals.
 

Castor beans

Castor beans

Castor bean is a typical plant which can be seen almost in all the landscapes. It contains a toxic substance called ricin and 17 of such beans are enough to kill a human. The bean consists of numerous hooks all over it so that it would cling easily to the body of any creature which would be helpful for pollination. Even though it seems to be toxic to the pets it provides human with the castor oil which is its product. The seed as a whole, when swallowed by a dog, would not create big problems as it would pass out usually, but if it is chewed then things would become serious. It causes excessive thirst, weakness, tremors, dehydration, and death.


Tomato

Tomato

Tomato is an edible and succulent fruit known all over the world which is bright red in color and also it is used as food. So, it is evident that it would not create any harm to the humans But, it is not same in the case of pets; the leaves, stem, roots and immature green tomatoes contain large amount toxic substance called tomatine which is present in a very minute amount in the ripened tomatoes. So except the ripened fruits other parts of the plant should be avoided for a pet.


Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum is a bright yellow flower which covers the landscape providing a spectacular yellow blanket over the land. Due to its vivid color, it can be seen from a long distance too. But, consuming any part of this part would be dangerous either for a human or a pet. It contains a toxic substance called pyrethrum which can cause hypersalivation, lack of coordination, dermatitis etc. Accidental consumption of this bright flower by your pet should be treated with the help of a veterinarian immediately.

These are the plants which when consumed by your pet dog can affect their digestion or even can be fatal. So make sure your dog is not exposed to such poisonous plants.

Also read5 Tips To Help Your Puppy Grow Healthy

Reference: wikipedia.org

Got some questions? Or some suggestions? That’s why we’ve got a comments section on this blog! You can feel free to leave a comment or two down below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!

We love reading your messages……

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *